Can You Use the Winchester Model 11K CO2 Air Pistol for Self Defense?
You might think that using an air pistol or BB gun for self defense is ridiculous right? A lot of people think air guns are toys…BUT they are not toys and are actually weapons.
So, let’s talk about what makes an air pistol like the Winchester Model 11K CO2 pistol suitable for self defense.
Here’s the criteria for self defense air guns
- Power – enough velocity/energy to stop, repel or kill an attacker [400+ fps recommended for 3-4 inches of penetration in soft tissue]
- Semi Auto Action – continuously shoot without cocking the action
- Multi-shot – ability to shoot without reloading [20 shot magazine recommended]
- Lethal ammo – steel BB’s or lead pellets
- Compact – easy to bring into action quickly
- Easy to Shoot Accurately – lightweight and small to accommodate men’s and women’s hands
- Easy to Aim – open sights or laser sight for optimal aiming in a crisis situation
- Low Cost – not too expensive as to prohibit anyone from owning
OK, that’s some criteria for a self defense air pistol. Now let’s see if the Winchester Model 11K CO2 Air Pistol meets this criteria.
Winchester Model 11K CO2 Air Pistol Features
- Power – 410 fps with steel BB’s
- Power Type – 12 gram CO2 cartridge
- Action Type – Semi Auto
- Magazine Capacity – 16 shots
- Weight – 3.86 lbs
- Sights – open sights
- Caliber – .177 caliber
- Ammo – steel and lead BB’s
- Retail Price $149.99
The Winchester Model 11K CO2 air pistol does meet the criteria for a self defense air gun and would be a descent choice. It’s a well made air pistol that is reliable. With a BB velocity of 410 fps, it is able to penetrate 3-4 inches of soft tissue as tested in Ballistic Gelatin. Ballistic Gel is the closest substrate to human tissue.
Using an air pistol for self defense, means you must carefully pick your target. It’s not nearly as powerful as a firearm where you can shoot at the torso and kill a person. The best target area on a human is the face with the eyes being the lethal target or the side temple area. Shots in these areas will result in paralysis or death.